LARA NADEZDA MELENCIO

LARA NADEZDA MELENCIO
This is Me. :D

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

PLM - Picket at ADB Governor's Annual Conference


Hello Guys.

This is my first blog post for this month.
I haven't really been into writing this past few weeks.

What I have been doing is more of like a new experience for me. I have been taking videos, pictures, editing videos and uploading them on YouTube and the Partido Lakas ng Masa website. This is what I will be doing this summer. Sort of like a summer job/summer experience.

There are a lot of things going on in the Philippines. For one, the May Day rally. The 1st of May is a national holiday in the Philippines because it's Labor Day. All labor organizations and parties all march in different places in Manila and all over the Philippines to address their concerns. It is the best time to ask for wage increases and other stuff about the government and the predicament of the workers in the Philippines. I wasn't able to join the mobilization though I participated in the preparation.

After this, there was another issue about the Asian Development Bank, groups like the FDC or the Freedom From Debt Coalition mobilized in front of PICC in line with the ADB Governor's Annual Conference held in Manila. They are pointing out that organizations such as ADB are the ones responsible for the privatization of public services of third-world countries in Asia especially the Philippines. The picket at PICC was held on May 2nd and captivated the media's attention.

After which, 2 days later, May 4, various labor groups including Partido Lakas ng Masa or PLM mobilized in front of the Cultural Center of the Philippines in Manila to back up the first gourps who picketed in front of PICC. I was there covering some of the events.

I am not going to pretend that I clearly understand the issues nor am I going to proclaim that I am an activist of some sort but I am glad that I participated and that I am the least bit aware of what's going on in the Philippines.

The pictures of the said picket is post at this site: http://www.masa.ph/
For the video version, in which my father, Sonny Melencio is highlighted, you can watch here:


No comments: